Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom and R

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom and R
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 19:36:32 -0800

What do Axiom users want from a numerical package? Given that Axiom was once "married" to the NAG library, I'd expect such things as basic linear algebra, ordinary and partial differential equations, digital signal processing, and statistics. R has all of these, but it is more -- it's a complete environment all by itself. And quite a lot of the wisdom of R is embedded in contributed packages rather than in the base environment.

R can function as a command line interpreter, a shared library (DLL on Windows as well), a DCOM server on Windows, a CGI interpreter, and even a web application server! There are lots of ways to quickly get some kind of interface up, especially if you're willing to do "inelegant" things like spawn a process, open up a command line interpreter and pipe R language to it.

As an R programmer, I think what *I* would use most would be the ability to use Axiom as a high-level language to generate R code, just like the "ancient" CAS systems did with FORTRAN code. The R language is a lot better than FORTRAN as a target language. And I don't have enough experience with Axiom (or any other CAS except Derive) to know what sorts of problems I could pose that I couldn't get solved in a timely manner in Axiom alone, without a numerical "assistant" like R.

Looking at the other way around -- embedding a CAS in R -- of course, R can spawn an Axiom process and pipe code to its standard input. I'm not sure I'd take that approach, since R is capable of directly linking to C, C++ and Fortran code. I'd be more inclined to take the Ginac symbolic calculator library (written in C++) and just do a straighforward and largely mechanical integration.

Pierre Doucy wrote:

Martin,

depending on what you actually want to do, you might just want to make
them talk to each other through, for instance, a pipe (and some
translation in between) that might do the trick if what you want to do
just needs basic types.
That might also be a good start to understand what are the constraints
and what needs to be done to actually embed axiom in R (or the other
way around).

Pierre