RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Local MathAction

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Local MathAction
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 23:39:05 -0500

Martin,

I thought a little more about your request and I also saw that
planetmath.org does offer a "static snapshot" download based
on wget. Is this what you meant? If so, you can create such a
snapshot via the command:

  wget --mirror --convert-links --backup-converted \
                        --html-extension \
                        http://wiki.axiom-developer.org

Or, with less typing:

  wget -m -k -K -E http://www.gnu.org

For more information see the wget documentation (man wget
or http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/manual/wget.html)

But you should note that this could take a very long time
depending on the speed of your internet connection!

If this format is what you mean by "snapshot" and you do think
that this would be useful, then we can do the same thing as is
done on planetmath - create a compressed tarball, say once per
week, and provide a link for people to download it. But even
compressed this is likely to be quite large - my guess: about
250 Mbytes. I will let you know once my current download
completes and I create the actual compressed file.

What this would allow people to do is to have a local copy
of all the pages on the Axiom Wiki as they existed at the
time the snapshot was taken, but of course it would not allow
any editing or running of Axiom etc.

I still think installing MathAction locally is the better
choice.