RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom guidance

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom guidance
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 02:10:14 -0500

On December 16, 2005 8:05 PM Michel Lavaud wrote:

> ... it is not so easy for non English-speaking people to
> modify texts in English, as one (well, at least me :-) is
> always frightened to introduce bad syntax, incorrect words
> so that "improving" might appear "corrupting" to English-
> speaking readers (even if the scientific contents is
> improved).

My opinion is that it is highest priority to improve the
scientific contents even if the quality of the English is not
perfect. You will notice that even though English is my first
language, I still manage occasionally to introduce bad syntax
and incorrect words. :) Please do not let that stop you from
making improvements to the content. If there is some concern
then someone else can make improvements to your English.

> BTW, is it possible easily with Plone to have bi(multi-)lingual
> pages, for example so that one could switch from English to
> French by clicking on a flag or button in the current page ?

Yes this is possible in Plone. Plone has a feature called I18N
support which enables correct translations of fixed text such
as menus and headings as well as multi-lingual documents, i.e.
one document that appears in multiple versions - one version
for each language. The version shown to the user depends on
the language setting of the browser.

http://www.contentmanagementsoftware.info/plone/I18NLayer
http://www.contentmanagementsoftware.info/plone/I18NFolder
http://www.contentmanagementsoftware.info/plone/LinguaPlone

> This could solve partly the problem, maybe?

Yes. The axiom-developer.org sever has two different websites
that support Axiom: one is called the Axiom Wiki and it is based
only on Zope and ZWiki (with extensions for LaTeX and Axiom).
The Axiom Wiki has only limited support for translations of some
of the fixed text such as menus and headings.

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org

The other website is called the Axiom Portal and it is based on
Plone and Zwiki (with the same extensions).

http://portal.axiom-developer.org

Right now the I18N product for Plone have not yet been installed.
But if you or anyone else would like to experiment with multi-
lingual documents on the Axiom Portal, I would be glad to install
the I18N package. I would also be happy to try to contribute to
such documents.