RE: [Axiom-developer] axiom conference funding?

From: michel . lavaud
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] axiom conference funding?
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 03:35:46 +0100

Hello,

Are there any news for a future conference? Will it happen in Australia as proposed by Mike Thomas, and did funding was asked / obtained for that? If not, and if there is some interest, I would like to propose to organize a conference in Orleans (France) in the last week of august, like the one happened in Metz (France) 2 years ago, cf.:

http://2003.rencontresmondiales.org/program/view_topic.php?topic_id=5

(if the program appears in French, you can get the English version by going to home page of RMLL2003, then selecting "English" then "Programs" then "program" on the line "Free software and research).

The idea was to allow researchers that produce free software for scientific research to meet together and discuss possible collaborations. It was not restricted to Axiom, and not even to CAS, as you can see from the program, but I think that one of the advantages of free software over commercial ones is that we can collaborate, so it might be useful to try to use fully this advantage.

I would propose in addition to invite colleagues from Scilab and MuPAD, as they do excellent work. Moreover, their software is very well known and largely used in France, so that it would probably be easier to get funding for a broad conference than for a conference restricted to Axiom. There are several conferences on CAS in France each year, but mainly on algorithms, not software, and not in Orleans region, so I hope this might be doable. Before trying to see if we can get fund, would the Axiom community be interested in such a conference, despite its broader range ?

Best wishes,
Michel

> On November 19, 2005 12:25 PM Tim Daly (root) wrote:
> >
> > C. Y wrote:
> > > Premature question:  Where would it be held?
> >
> > a more reasonable answer is another question:
> > who would be willing to host it.
> >
> > frankly i think it'd be a lot of fun to rent a beach house
> > somewhere and spend 3 days code hacking/designing/lang-wars-ing on
> > the front porch. morning presentations, afternoon debates, evening
> > code hacking. the scratchpad group used to do this in the hamptons,
> > i believe. nobody said a conf HAS to be in a huge building with
> > cinderblock walls.
> >

> I don't think it is premature to ask the question of location
> and format. We should also ask when? I was thinking in terms
> of April or May - roughly one year from the last meeting that
> was hosted by City College in New York City last year.
>
> I like Tim's suggestion about the format and location however
> I would be even more pleased if we could find a venue like
> this in Europe. Open source Axiom is already supported by an
> international group of developers and the Axiom web site
> regularly records frequent access to the web site from more
> than 80 countries around the world. I think we should try to
> organize face-to-face meetings in several different parts of
> the world. But of course we do need a host organization.
>
> I also think that very soon we should advertise for written
> contributions to the Axiom meeting and plan to publish these
> papers in some manner - perhaps in co-operation with a
> recognized journal. Real publications count for a lot of the
> people who are potential contributors to Axiom.
>
> Finally, I think we should establish an organizing committee.
> I am certainly willing to be part of such a committee. Who
> else would like to volunteer? Or perhaps you might wish it
> nominate someone else?
address@hidden
http://www.univ-orleans.fr/EXT/ASTEX
ftp://ftp.univ-orleans.fr/pub/tex/PC/AsTeX
liste de discussion: address@hidden
Abonnement à la liste: envoyer un message de contenu
"sub astex Nom Prenom Etablissement" à address@hidden