[Axiom-developer] Re: noweb "bug"

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: noweb "bug"
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 01:39:28 +0100

i've started in on volume 2, the programmers guide which will require a complete rewrite. i've outlined it and am writing a
programming example that will be carried throughout the book
(a cohen algebra which i mentioned in a previous posting)

Hmmm, I don't know whether it is worth spending many hours on the spad language. You know, I am a bit against spad. Although quite similar, SPAD is not the same as Aldor. And I would rather like to see SPAD replaced by Aldor. Eliminate the SPAD language in favour of Aldor.

Of course the biggest problem here is that Aldor is still not free although there seem to be plans from Stephen Watt to make the compiler Open Source. Unfortunately, I have no idea how we could accelerate this opensourcing process.

if you're interested in volume 4 go for it. send email and i'll
help you with the details and the writing. the book--main--1
branch is probably better than the axiom--main--1 branch because
we can update more frequently and the changes can be broken for
a long time.

You see, that is one little detail that should go into the developer's guide. axiom--main--1 is to be considered read-only by all developers except you, Tim (and perhaps a few trusted people who I don't know). For all the other versions like book--main--1, etc. there are other rules. (Rules that I haven't read about.)

eventually the book--main--1 branch will go away and the book
volumes will be a standard part of the source tree

Right so!

(indeed, in the fullness of time they WILL be the source tree).

I know approximatly what you mean, and will suggest some structure and document it in the developer's guide.

Ciao
Ralf