Re: [Axiom-developer] hyperlinked algebra

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] hyperlinked algebra
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:26:45 +0100

Bill Page wrote:
Doing the same thing with \n instead of \- would be a bit more complicated. But I think for LaTeX-speakers \- is more natural
anyway.

Hmmm ... maybe '\n ' would be better - more compatible with
the definition of the "dot" language?

Well, yes, this may be a good reason to look for something that works with \n. But the problem is that \n would be expanded during \write so \nGroup would count as one control sequence which is usually not defined. I don't know how I can easily achieve a similar trick as with \-.

Why would you say '\-' is more natural in LaTeX?

TeX has automatic hyphenation, but sometimes one must help. That can be done via the \- control sequence. Then TeX considers the place where \- is as an additional place to break lines.

http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/teTeX/latex/latex2e-html/ltx-244.html

Ralf