[Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: unexec and fedora core 4

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: unexec and fedora core 4
Date: 09 Dec 2005 16:43:44 -0500

Greetings!

OK, here is what I believe now to be the case -- the SELinux option
allow_execmem, which is 'active' on the bad box, is causing the
problem.  All is well if one takes the drastic action of

sudo /bin/sh -c "/usr/sbin/setenforce 0"

but will probably allso work if one changes

/etc/selinux/strict/src/policy/domains/user.te:bool allow_execmem false;

/etc/selinux/strict/src/policy/domains/user.te:bool allow_execmem true;

and

sudo /bin/sh -c "cd /etc/selinux/strict/src/policy && make load"

though I have not confirmed this not wanting to hose the machine in
question.

The security people appear to persist in their (IMHO quite erroneous)
assumption that there is no legitimate need for an executable heap.
Tim Daly likely has further thoughts on this, but I saw the comment
again here:

http://copilotconsulting.com/mail-archives/selinux.2005/msg02006.html

Take care,