[Axiom-developer] learning Boot (was: learning Lisp)

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] learning Boot (was: learning Lisp)
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 13:28:58 -0500

On Wednesday, December 07, 2005 5:14 AM I wrote:
> In order to illustrate "live" use of lisp on MathAction I think
> I need to invent a new environment like this:
>
> \begin{lisp}
> (defun foo (x y)
>   (+ x y))
> \end{lisp}
>
> I now have an experimental implementation of the use of lisp on
> web pages on the Axiom Wiki. See:
>
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxLispInAxiom

I have just finished adding the Boot language to MathAction.
You can now write for example:

\begin{boot}
foobar(x,y) == x + y
\end{boot}

And call it with:

\begin{axiom}
integer(foobar(2,3)$Lisp)
\end{axiom}

For another simple example see:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxBootProgramming

Please try it and let me know what you think.

So now on MathAction we have the following 5 pseudo-environments
for Axiom:

\begin{axiom}
  Axiom commands
\end{axiom}

\begin{aldor}
  Aldor library code
\end{aldor}

\begin{spad}
  Spad library code
\end{spad}

\begin{boot}
  Boot functions
\end{boot}

\begin{lisp}
  Lisp functions
\end{lisp}

I think this completes all of the web interfaces to Axiom
that are necessary for Axiom users {axiom}, Axiom library
programmers {spad, aldor} and Axiom developers {boot, lisp}.
With these tools it should be possible to do a lot of Axiom
debugging and development collaboratively over the web.

And we also have support for Reduce:

\begin{reduce}
Reduce commands
\end{reduce}

and for LaTeX with GraphViz for layout of diagrams:

\begin{latex}
GraphViz commands
\end{latex}

So where do we go from here?

Personally I think I now need to shift from web application
development to something more interesting! I plan to continue
to document Boot, as promised a few weeks ago and to complete
the documentation for MathAction itself, but besides that I
would really like to get back to using Axiom as a *user* again.
So that's my pledge for the coming new year. :)