Re: [Axiom-developer] MathAction to email list connection

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] MathAction to email list connection
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:25:05 +0100

Page, Bill wrote:
On Friday, November 25, 2005 4:51 AM Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

Bill Page wrote:
... Perhaps this is a good time to suggest that we disconnect the
axiom-developer email list from the Axiom Wiki web site?
Good idea. I usually just remove those emails. A much better idea would be to post a FAQ every month. Or just a link to a
FAQ at MathAction. Wouldn't that help people to get aware of
MathAction and what one can do with it?

I will check to see if there is some way on the axiom-developer
and axiom-mail email list server to setup such a "once per
month" message to subscribers. I think that is a good idea as
long as I do not have to remember to do it each month.

If people want to get notified about changes at MathAction they should subscribe to a corresponding mailing list. There is already one, right?

Personally I cannot remember that I have ever changed anything on a MathAction page. The problem with too much text also applies here.

That is a pity. It is the explicit purpose of the Axiom Wiki
site that Axiom developers will actively make changes to the
site and help improve it's organization. Everyone has unlimited
ability to edit the pages, delete and reorganize content, and
and new material. A wiki is an open interactive environment that
is supposed to take advantage of the fact that anyone with an
interest in the subject can contribute to it's documentation.

I understand the principle, but even though I consider myself somewhat related to Axiom, I don't yet think that I should modify the texts of other people (even if MathAction is intended to do so). There is some psychological barrier. Maybe I am not the only one who feels like this. Well, I must admit that I have not yet time enough to really play with MathAction, but if I do so for the first time, I would rather like that nobody sees my stupid modifications.

If you ever feel motivated

I am

and have the time,

*smile*

I would encourage you the shorten and re-write portions of the pages
> on this web site based on your own experience and knowledge.

As I said, I first need to get the right feeling for MathAction.

that is not the point. A wiki web site is not based on the
traditional model of "publishing" a site for others just to view.
It is supposed to be an interactive collaborative environment.

I understand, but it's a bit like changing one's editor... one has to become accustomed to this new kind of collaboration.

Don't be afraid, I'll try to do my share to make to Axiom project successful, but I cannot work on all branches. In fact, I would rather like to work on the Algebra, but I feel that the underlying documentation structure is not yet optimal (at least not the way I would like to see it). And anyway, I am waiting for the Aldor compiler to become open source.

Ralf