Re: [Axiom-developer] Anyone familiar with Xy-pic?

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Anyone familiar with Xy-pic?
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:11:23 -0800 (PST)

--- C Y <address@hidden> wrote:

> Tim, you had mentioned earlier wanting to be able to click on the
> names of elements in generated graphs of the source code and be
> taken to that point in the text.

Or, more precisely:

"i'd like to get diagrams autogenerated in the book. and i'd like
to be able to click on graph nodes entries and go right to the code
(hyperlinking in graphs)."

The autogeneration is going to be quite a trick, and the hyperlinking
in graphs isn't any cakewalk either, but I think I've demonstrated the
possibility of the hyperlinking part.  Basically I made the crudest
test imaginable - I cut and pasted an example from the XY-pic docs and
added it to a subset of the dhmatrix tex file - basically just enough
to let me try \usepackage{axiom}, \usepackage[all]{xy}, and
\usepackage[<fancystuff>]{hyperref} together.  Then I replaced the text
in one of the XY-pic objects with hyperref hyperlinking commands, and
added a target around a section header, and darned if it didn't work,
at at least with pdflatex!

Just for fun (and in case my machine wipes out) I'll attach the tex
document, but it's nothing to write home about.  (Does the list allow
attachments?) XY-pic is not for the faint of heart (it reminds me of
looking at some of the more mangled perl scripts I've seen, actually)
but it also looks very, very powerful, so I'll take a shot at it.  (I
don't even faintly understand the example in the attachment yet, which
is why its not a better example of what we would want.) The main
question looks to be automatic layout, and that could be a problem.  I
haven't been able to figure out what XY-pics abilities are in that
department, but I'm assuming it's not really designed for that.

Cheers,
CY

http://mail.yahoo.com