Re: [Axiom-developer] MuPad under trouble

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] MuPad under trouble
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 11:12:55 -0600

Bertfried Fauser <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
>       first, is that reliable information?

I think so.  The thread that CY linked to had a link to the MuPAD
founder's website, http://fuchssteiner.info/, which discusses it, and
the thread also contains comments from Christopher Creutzig, a MuPAD
developer (although he says he's not technically a developer).

I don't see MuPAD going away soon; I think there are some big projects
that use it, but its user base will shrink quite a bit (most users use
a free license), and so its long term viability doesn't look good.

> If so it would be a desater to the fruiltful and active work on the
> tremendouly good combinat package of MuPad. However, some of those
> developers might have MuPad source, I have to be
> inquisitive. Anyhow, it would have officially to go open source.

Right now, it seems to be going the other way: more commercial.
The library sources have always been available to read, and there was
talk about putting them under a free license.  I don't know if that's
still the plan or not.

> The point is that MuPad code is very AXIOMish

I know some people working with Scratchpad switched to MuPAD; perhaps
they'll come back.

> and I was thinking of 'stealing' some of teh combinat code for
> AXIOM, hmm, perhaps the only way for that package not to perish...

Is the combinatoric code in the kernel or libraries?  If the
libraries, it can at least be studied, and the authors' names are
listed so perhaps you can get permission to port it.

Jay