Re: [Axiom-developer] Live Pamphlet Editing

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Live Pamphlet Editing
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 05:31:13 -0500

On  Fri, 4 Nov 2005 08:33:08 -0500 Tim Daly wrote (Re:Terms of Surrender (was:
BAD tim))

> in addition, bill page has made it possible to edit pamphlet files
> online at the axiom wiki site. this could greatly simplify the whole
> system maintenance problem, make it possible to "drag and drop" a
> changed file from the website to your running axiom, have it rebuilt,
> and added to the system. this could eliminate the CVS/Arch/Darcs
> mechanism from the user level and create a whole new way of doing
> system patch distribution.

Bill, sorry if I missed the message(s) where you might have described this. Is
there an easy way to directly add documentation to an existing pamphlet file
(like a patch) and the change be automatically visible to the discussion forum
(such as reflecting the change on wiki). If possible, then when some Axiom
problem involving the algebra code are discussed, whoever examined and
understood the code can add comments directly. Right now, we create and edit a
wiki page (possibly from emails), and then later this has to be searched and put
into the pamphlet file.

I noted the following Wiki page on MathAction:
http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/210PamphletSupportOnMathAction

You mentioned a new pamphlet PageType (pun intended :-) ?), but the links
http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/SandBoxEmbededPDF
(which is apparently a copy of the now defunct page:
http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/SandBoxPamphlet
where the links (pdf, dvi or src) are broken)
only give the pdf, dvi, and src files of dhmatrix.spad.pamphlet. There are no
instructions how to modify the src file (of course right now just the SandBox
copy, not the original archive copy) and have the modified file recompiled into
pdf, dvi, src files.

By the way, I have no trouble, under Windows and Firefox, to open the three
(pdf, dvi, src) files. The rendering seems ok to me.

William