[Axiom-developer] RE: page.axiom-developer problem / FrontPage

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: page.axiom-developer problem / FrontPage
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:55:27 -0500

Martin,

On November 4, 2005 7:01 AM you wrote:

> it seems that there is a small problem with
>
> http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/FrontPage
>
> If I click on "Axiom book" I get the link
>
> http://page.axiom-developer.org/Mirrors?go=/public/book2.pdf&it=Axiom+Book
>
> which does not work.

Thanks. It should be ok now. Please let me know if not.

> I suppose that usage of page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction
> is depreciated, but there are probably still many many links to
> that address out there...

Yes, you are right. At some point, we should start echoing a
"Please change your bookmark" for this url but for now I will
try to keep it working while we make sure that the shorter
aliases:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org

and

http://portal.axiom-developer.org

are working properly.

There is also some awkwardness about the shortest possible
url:

http://axiom-developer.org

which is mapped automatically by the ISP name server to

http://www.axiom-developer.org

I made www.axiom-developer.org and alias for

http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction

But I am not sure whether there is any point in retaining
these longer urls:

  http://www.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction

and

  http://www.axiom-developer.org/zope/Plone

anymore.

I know all these names for the same things is rather confusing
and it's hard to maintain so they all work properly.

> -----------------
>
> FrontPage design
>
> I'm a little unhappy about the crowdy look of the FrontPage.
> I suggest that we concentrate on the essentials. I think
> that:
> -----------------
>
> If there is agreement, I can redo the FrontPage.

I agree with all your suggested changes and encourage you to
do the re-design.

> There are some more things that should be redesigned:
>
> The WishList and SummerOfCode pages should be merged and
> redone. I think that several projects are already completed.
> It would be good if every project on this common page would
> have a link and a backlink to IssueTracker.

Do you think the current set of IssueTracker categories, severity
and status properties is adequate for this purpose? If not, then
then also can be extended and/or rationalized.

> The bits and pieces of wiki-documentation to interpreter,
> SPAD and Aldor should be regrouped.
>
> Volunteers?

I think this is a great idea!