[Axiom-developer] RE: tex4ht and jsmath

From: Eitan Gurari
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: tex4ht and jsmath
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:40:21 -0400

Page,

 > Will tex4ht convert any of these legacy codes?

Yes, provided native latex can compile the file.

 > > http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/axiom--test--1/src/algebra/fspace.spad

 > http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/axiom--test--1/src/scripts/tex

The file doesn't compile at my place for native latex on a few
different machines.

    latex fspace.spad.tex
    =====================
    This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1)
    (fspace.spad.tex
    LaTeX2e <1999/12/01> patch level 1
    Babel <v3.6Z> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
    ngerman, n
    ohyphenation, loaded.
    (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls
    Document Class: article 1999/09/10 v1.4a Standard LaTeX document class

    (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/size10.clo)) (axiom.sty)
    No file fspace.spad.aux.
    [1]
    No file fspace.spad.toc.
    [2]
    ! Missing number, treated as zero.
    <to be read again>
    l.13 ...ename{fspace.spad.pamphlet}\nwbegincode{1}
                                                      \moddef{category ES
    Expres...

    ?

The axiom.sty will need a short counter axiom.4ht file to take care of
creature such as

  \setbox\plusequivbox=\hbox{$\mathord{+}\mathord{\equiv}$}
  address@hidden

 > Hmmm... wouldn't that imply {\csname HCode\endcsname{}} is the
 > "wrong way"? But anyway, I understand that there are always
 > compromises we have to make to standards.

Yes, {\csname HCode\endcsname{}} is ugly -- I don't like it.  Can be a
little nicer if inserted indirectly through a macro. In fact,
typically an empty base is employed for tensors and in the case of
mathml a special construct multiscripts is offered for tensors.

-eitan