Re: [Axiom-developer] Aldor and Lisp

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Aldor and Lisp
Date: 18 Oct 2005 10:40:15 -0400

Greetings!

Peter Broadbery <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 11:10 +0200, Martin Rubey wrote:
> > Dear Camm, Cliff, *,
> >

> If there's a rewrite of Spad using a little more of aldor, then I'd also
> be interested in helping occasionaly (unless a really freely available
> Aldor comes along).
>
> > There are some other small differences, I don't know by heart.

> I guess you've missed generators, exceptions (implemented late, and IMHO
> badly), and a very strong code optimisation phase.

Thank you so much for this.  If you have time, it would be msot
helpful to give a brief example showing how each of these enhancements
works.

> Ideally, I'd like to see an Axiom extension language written mostly in
> that language or a strictly defined subset (in a similar way to boot and
> spad, but without the syntax differences). That's just my preference,
> the only advantage being that it may lead to more  testing of the
> compiler.

Nice idea.

> Anyway, just thought I'd offer some support.  Anyone know of a lisp
> parser generator?

Heard good things about Zebu, but no direct experience.  Had an idea
once about a GCL lisp interface to flex and bison, but it is not clear
how much use this would ever see.

Take care,