Re: FW: [Axiom-developer] Important! Cannot Install on Fedora

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: FW: [Axiom-developer] Important! Cannot Install on Fedora
Date: 13 Oct 2005 09:59:42 -0400

Greetings!

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

> Cool!
>
> I probably have libgmp3 already installed for other reasons
> so that dependency is already satisfied.
>
> Now I continued as follows:
>
> On page http://packages.debian.org/unstable/math/axiom
> I clicked the 'libreadline5' dependency, chose a mirror and
> downloaded
>
>   libreadline5_5.0-11_i386.deb
>
> I ran
>
>   # alien --to-rpm libreadline5_5.0-11_i386.deb
>
> and then
>
>   # rpm -ihv libreadline5_5.0-11_i386.rpm
>
> I also notice from http://packages.debian.org/unstable/math/axiom
> that 'axiom-databases' is a dependency so I click, and download
>
>   axiom-databases_20050901-2_all.deb
>
> and run
>
>     # alien --to-rpm axiom-databases_20050901-2_all.deb
>     # rpm -ihv axiom-databases_20050901-2_all.rpm
>
> Finally (with a momemt's hesitation ...) I actually run
>
>     # rpm -ihv axiom-20050901-3.i386.rpm
>
> I exit from root and type:
>
> address@hidden page]$ /usr/bin/axiom
>
> Et voilĂ !
> ---------
>
> GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.7 CLtL1    Sep 29 2005 18:04:31
> Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd)
> Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (READLINE BFD UNEXEC)
> Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
> Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter
>
> Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
>                         AXIOM Computer Algebra System
>                      Version: Axiom 3.9 (September 2005)
>              Timestamp: Thursday September 29, 2005 at 20:04:18
>    Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
>    Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
>    Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.
>
> (1) -> D(sin x,x)
>
>    (1)  cos(x)
>                                         Type: Expression Integer
>
> ------
> Amazingly easy! I love Debian - even Debian on non-Debian linux.  :-)

Glad to hear you are pleased.  I am too -- I think the system in
general is quite well designed.  And what keeps it running is open
source licensing -- i.e. everyone sharing the fruits of each others'
efforts.  If aldor can ever meet this standard, I would be happy to
try to do the same for it, though I understand securing such
permission might be difficult.  BTW, what language is aldor written
in?

Take care,