[Axiom-developer] [AxiomDownload]

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] [AxiomDownload]
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:39:29 -0500

Changes http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomDownload/diff
--

++added:
         0) echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space

++added:
Note: See comments from RenaudRioboo below concerning item 0).

++added:
From: Renaud Rioboo
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:01:00 -0500
Subject: Summary of Install of axiom on FC3 and FC4

Dear Axiom Gurus,

Thank you all for your help concerning the install of axiom under recent
Fedora versions.

It seems that Fedora enabled a kernel feature which randomizes memory
for security reasons and this is causing problems to run/build axiom.
I used two machines to test::

  address@hidden>uname -a
  Linux roamrr.rioboo.org 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4 #1 Wed Sep 28 19:15:10 EDT 2005
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
  address@hidden>uname -a
  Linux gate.rioboo.org 2.6.12-1.1378_FC3 #1 Wed Sep 14 04:24:31 EDT 2005 i686
athlon i386 GNU/Linux

I Checked out the content of::

  address@hidden>cat /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space
  1

If I turn off this by issuing::

  echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space

I can run the preinstalled version for FC3 and FC4 and compile the
Cvs version correctly. This has however the inconvenient that the
feature is globally turned off for the whole system.

In FC4 there is a setarch command which disables randomization on a per
process basis. I was not able to find a way to find an equivalent under
FC3. Thus in FC4::

  address@hidden>setenv AXIOM
/usr/local/Install/OpenAxiom/PrecompiledAxiom/axiom/mnt/linux
  address@hidden>set path = ( $AXIOM/bin $path)
  address@hidden>setarch `arch` -R axiom

works correctly with the advantage that you can run this without
requiring a global modification.

You can also compile the Cvs version of axiom by issuing::

  setarch àrch`-R make

to build the system.

I hope this will be of some help for other axiom users.

Regards,

Renaud

--
forwarded from http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/address@hidden