[Axiom-developer] [#210 Pamphlet support on MathAction] [#210 Pamphlet s

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Subject: [Axiom-developer] [#210 Pamphlet support on MathAction] [#210 Pamphlet support on MathAction] Math on the web
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 20:03:30 -0500

Changes
http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/210PamphletSupportOnMathAction/diff
--
unknown wrote:

>Changes http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/210PamphletSupportOnMathAction/diff
>--
>This is impossible for me to view.
>
>Acroread on linux has serious stability issues and consistently crashes my
>browser or forcibly grabs my mouse and won't let go.  All open-source pdf
>viewers (xpdf, gpdf, etc) have inferior font rendering and often cannot
>anti-alias the fonts.

I've had a few problems with Acroread 7 on Linux but for the most part
they only happen when viewing a PDF off the web with Firefox. If you
download the file to your hard drive and open it, it should work fine.
Be sure you have the latest Acroread and Firefox. What distro are you
running?

>While the rendering quality of the latexwiki-image or mathml is currently
>inferior, I don't think jumping through all these hoops is worth the small
>increase in rendering quality.  Instead, I think we should use the
>technologies built into the browser already (images/mathml) and push the
>browser developers to improve their rendering quality.

Yes, I agree. Have you tried Amaya? They're trying to be the "reference
browser", and I know they want to fix any rendering issues. I'm on their
mailing list.

>Undoubtedly, we will encounter many bugs in the rendering of mathml.  But, I
>think pushing forward with "math on the web" is a desirable goal, and
>sidestepping the problem by embedding pdf will hurt rather than help the whole
>situation.  It seems to me the natural migration route is send images for old
>browsers, mathml for new browsers, and report bugs against the browsers when
>this falls down.

Yes, I agree. Start with Amaya; they're likely to be more responsive
than Firefox/Mozilla.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

http://www.borasky-research.net/