[Axiom-developer] RE: Web based bibtex

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Web based bibtex
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 10:44:21 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Page, Bill" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Yes, but we are still at the previous older version
> CMFBibliographyAT-0.4.

Hmm.  OK.

[snip]

> That's good news! I think this a great product for plone and it's
> been around for a while, but the original developer sort of lost
> interest.

Ah, no wonder.  I was doing a web search for online bibtex organizers,
which is how I stumbled onto the fact that you had already implemented
one!  ooops.

> I think it would be a good idea if we upgraded the MathAction site
> to at least the new 0.7.0 version.

Agreed.  It might be worthwhile to ask the developer about a) release
timeframe for 8.0 and b) how hard the migration path from 7.0 to 8.0 is
expected to be, when deciding.

> We are also a little behind in the Plone releases. The current Plone
> is 2.1. On MathAction we are at 2.0.4.
>
> All it takes is someone (like you! :) to say they are interested in
> this and I would be glad to spend some time doing the upgrades.

Well, doing background work on Dimensional Analysis gives me the
impression that completely converting Axiom to literate programming
will result in a HUGE number of references, given how much of
mathematics it covers.  We might as well establish how to handle this
now.

> > I'm trying to figure out if it is searchable
>
> Yes, it is searchable by default as part of the plone portal
> site. If you enter keywords in the search box on the upper right
> some of the things you find will be BibTeX records. In the
> See
>
> http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/Plone/search_form

Ah!  Got it.

> Click 'Item type' ( ) Select All/None, then check off as many of
> the *reference* types as you want. Enter some Search Text e.g.
> "quadratic" and then click 'Search'. You should see 4 bibtex
> references.

Nice.  We should have some kind of documentation explaining what all
the categories actually refer to - for example, is the wiki search the
Axiom wiki + the Reduce wiki?

> > and can be organized by category, but so far I'm not having much
> > luck.
>
> I don't know how to do that exactly, but I do know that it is
> possible to have multiple bibliographies and to search them all
> together or separately. In Plone we could organize the separate
> bibliographies into a hierarchical folder structure.

We might not need (or want) to do it that way - I was thinking more
along the lines of being able to search for (say) all papers referenced
by the Unit package, or the High Energy Physics package.  There might
be overlap in those two search results, which is fine, but we would
only want one bibtex entry to be shared between both, to help keep the
size reasonable.

BTY, who can add bibtex entries?  Is it just the site admin?  Clearly
there should be come kind of quality standard but I'm not sure how to
go about it.

> > I think for future purposes we will need something with search
> > capabilities.  Also, if possible, it would be nice to be able to
> > identify which part(s) of Axiom a particular paper is relevant
> > to.
>
> I think that it is possible to add such notes to the bibtex entries.

That might be the best way - if we could have searchable notes on which
Axiom Domains (or whatnot) refer to a given paper.  Ideally that
information could be autogenerated, but I don't know how to go about
setting that up.  I think the Sixpack bibliography program can do that
but I don't know of any web interface like it.  Heh - maybe sixpack
could be reimplemented as a web interface.

IMHO we should figure out how to make this general and robust from the
beginning, because it will be very important to the literate
programming effort to have a good structure for references set up.

Cheers,
CY

http://mail.yahoo.com