Re: [Axiom-developer] Openmath, Singular

From: Michael Brickenstein
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Openmath, Singular
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:36:54 +0200

Hello Bill Page!
Thanks for your positive response. I am very pleased with this welcome.

Actually I had a discussion in sci.math.symbolic and my conversation partner stated that he would like to see our functionality in your system. Additionally I have heared in our team, that you have made some things about Openmath. So this was my entry point for axiom. And of course I have heared of your extremely mathematical type system.

Of course I am interested in MathAction, if we would be able to implement a Singular demonstration in the mid. future this would be extremely nice and a good demonstration for what I do.

So for further steps, I suggest

- for me to take a closer look at your openmath library
- for you I suggest to
    -check, if axiom is compatible with openmath 2
-have a look on the polyd CD which is not from the Singular team but especially suited
        for Gröbner bases and everything which is based on it

At the moment, I use

"groebner"
"DMP"
"DMPL"
"SDMP"
"term"
"graded_reverse_lexicographic"
"lexicographic"
"groebnerd"

from polyd.
I also use the symbol "Q" from fieldname.
In near future, there is a symbol FreeField or so which will be supported.

Further you are invited to make a wishlist, which functions from our System (http://www.singular.uni-kl.de) you like to see in a Openmath content dictionary.

At the moment, the prototype is nothing as the pure mechanism with groebner basis as proof of concept (which is not the easiest possible example). In the next weeks (I have a job as System Administrator and Software Developer for my institutes databases, so don't expect me to work full time on this), I will improve the basis for the implementation. My Openmath implementation is based on Python which is embedded in Singular and plays together with the Singular interpreter nicely (can dynamically call all (a the moment nearly all) interpreter and kernel functions). This is written by me and not yet released officially. Python is in fact a strongly typed language, which doesn't do implicit conversions (at default), I only mention this, as I know that axiom focuses very much on a type system.
This basis will be improved (mainly bug fixing in the next weeks).

And then I will have time to spend more time the Openmath path.

I will send you some examples of polynomial system encodings using polyd, you can of course check, if my understandig of the standard is correct. I also will send you an archive of the polyd CD , as http:// www.openmath.org gives only internal errors at the moment (not so unusual there).

Yours,
Michael Brickenstein