RE: [Axiom-developer] Openmath, Singular

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Openmath, Singular
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:56:50 -0400

On September 30, 2005 3:39 AM Michael Brickenstein wrote:

> I am a member from the Singular team. Singular is a computer
> algebra system for Algebraic Geometry/Singularity Theory/Commutative
> Algebra. It provides functionality with focus in the areas
> Gröbner bases (even standard bases), primary decomposition, free
> resolutions, syzygies, polynomial equations.

Welcome to the Axiom developer list! :)

> We are working on providing our functionality to other systems
> via the openmath standard. We base our work at the moment on the
> polyd content dictionary.

Very interesting.

> How is the status for openmath in Axiom?

A great deal of work was done by NAG and associates a few years
ago prior to Axiom going open source. All of the hooks are
present in the current open source release and the OpenMath
modules are available but not integrated and tested with the
this release.

> Are you interested in connecting with Singular?

Yes, very interested!

As you probably already know, in addition to Axiom itself, we
also operate an online web interface to Axiom and Reduce
called MathAction, http://www.axiom-developer.org which
provides technical and user support services for the project.
MathAction is designed to be easily interfaced to other
packages and I think it would be great to include Singular.
OpenMath support should make this easier.

> Can I test your Openmath functionality (maybe some examples,
> since I don't know axiom)?

I would be glad to help. We seem to have been just waiting
for someone like you to come all to motivate us to complete
this part of the open source release. :)

> At the moment I have written a prototype implementation for
> Singular, which has the core functionality of openmath and in
> especial provides the possibility to calculate Groebner Bases.
>
> I hope, that this proposal could be the basis of a future
> cooperation.

Excellent! When can we get started?