RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: )set functions compile on

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: )set functions compile on
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:36:48 +0200

Page, Bill writes:
 > On Wednesday, August 31, 2005 3:45 AM Martin Rubey wrote:

 > ??? Why would you want a compiler written in lisp for the Aldor
 > language when there already is an Aldor compiler written in C?

There are (at least) two reasons:

* it is not too unlikely that Aldor will not become free software

* it is always a good thing to have several implementations of the *same*
  language. Mind that I'm not talking about dialects, it is important that the
  implementations strive to satisfy the *same* semantics. A good example is the
  variety of Ansi Common Lisp implementations around.

 > I do not see how it can possibly be "simple".

I suspect that it is *relatively* easy to write a *simple* compiler (i.e., no
optimizations etc.) for Aldor in Lisp.

Martin