[Axiom-developer] RE: Polymake needs permission to write a file

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Polymake needs permission to write a file
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:22:41 +0200

Page, Bill writes:
 > Martin,
 >
 > On Wednesday, August 24, 2005 5:34 AM you wrote:
 > >
 > > As you might have seen, for some unknow reason everything works just
 > > fine now.
 >
 > I changed  "system cube ..." to "system /usr/local/polymake/cube ..."
 > etc.

Ah!

 > > Hopefully in future there will be a better way to communicate with
 > > polymake. As it is, it is also rather slow...
 >
 > From the polymake documentation it seems like it might be possible
 > to use a socket instead::
 >
 > polymake SOCKET_FILE
 > polymake HOSTNAME:PORT
 >
 > If the only argument is a named unix-domain socket (ls -l marks such files
 > with a little s) or an internet address, polymake connects to it and reads
 > the lines with perl expressions. The output goes back to the socket.

Yes, but I have no idea how to use sockets from an axiom domain. Do you? If so,
go ahead and show me a simple example. I can then adapt the domain.

 > I hope that the polymake developers find your approach Interesting.

Yes, I hope so too.

 > BTW, I think there may be a problem with one of the constructors:
 >
 > $ /usr/local/polymake/bin/rand_sphere randsp.poly 2 3
 > Illegal instruction
 > $

Hm, on my machine here it works just fine... Except that I need to parametrize
the domain, to allow for polytopes with vertices being floats or rational
numbers.

I grepped my polymake directory for "Illegal instruction" but got no
match. Where does this come from?

Martin