[Axiom-developer] (no subject)

From: C . Frangos
Subject: [Axiom-developer] (no subject)
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:03:41 +0200

Some time ago, I managed to get axiom running under suse linux 7.2 (graphics
not working). Recently I downloaded the latest version and got it running
under suse linux 9.2 (with working graphics) on another machine.

I am trying to convert some of my Matlab m-files to axiom. Any
assistance with the following will be much appreciated:

(1) Is there a short way of declaring all variables in an axiom
    function to be local ?

    In Matlab this is automatically the case and global variables have
    to be specifically declared.

    In axiom it seems that its the opposite, creating the possibility
    of errors. Is this a design error in an otherwise very
    advanced language ?

(2) In Matlab I have a main function (in an m-file) calling another
    function, which in turn calls another function etc. Its not clear
    from the axiom book how to implement this. Does one have to use
    )read fun1.input, )read fun2.input, ...etc, and then fun1(); ?

    Any papers, reports or tutorials on the details of axiom programming
    involving multiple functions defined in separate files, calling
    each other, etc as described above would be helpful.

(3) Is there a setting in axiom to avoid having to use underscore _,
    to insert blank lines between program lines in files defining
    functions ? This seems awkward and error prone.

(4) I am using the Matlab symbolic toolbox (Maple engine). Its not
    clear from the axiom book how to typecast a unit matrix (integer
    or float) to type expression or variable in order to add it to
    another matrix containing expressions in the variable/symbol x,
    for example: A:= I + matrixins;

(5) System commands like )read, etc don't seem to work within
    functions ?

(6) Is there an axiom equivalent to Matlab's pause command ?

(7) I tried using a list to return  multiple variables from a
    function. However, this turns out to be of type any. These variables
    can be displayed but not used in operations any further. This means
    that you have to remember the types of each variable in the list.
    Then, manually in the calling function extract and explicitly
    typecast each variable in the returned list. Is there an easier
    way of doing this ??

(8) Does the current axiom distribution with working graphics have to
    be recompiled on my older suse linux 7.2 machine (first one took
    about 12 hours) or can I somehow copy the directory of the latest
    axiom via ethernet from  my newer suse linux 9.2 machine ?

Regards,

C. Frangos.

--
Constantine Frangos.