[Axiom-developer] [Common Mistakes]

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] [Common Mistakes]
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:26:23 -0500

Changes http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/CommonMistakes/diff
--

??changed:
-2 Reduce commands must end with a semicolon ;
3 Reduce commands must end with a semicolon ;

??changed:
-3 In Axiom 'ln' is written 'log'
4 In Axiom 'ln' is written 'log'

??changed:
-4 Don't put a \\ in front of the axiom command
5 Don't put a \\ in front of the axiom command

??changed:
-5 No \$ before and after
6 No \$ before and after

??changed:
-6 Axiom sometimes interprets commands in unexpected ways
7 Axiom sometimes interprets commands in unexpected ways

??changed:
-7 Use braces not parenthesis after 'begin' and 'end'
8 Use braces not parenthesis after 'begin' and 'end'

??changed:
-8 Use parenthesis not braces in Axiom commands
9 Use parenthesis not braces in Axiom commands

??changed:
-9 Use %minusInfinity and %plusInfinity
-
-  I'd like to see if Axiom can do my favorite definite integral::
10 Use %minusInfinity and %plusInfinity

   I'd like to see if Axiom can do my favorite definite integral::

??changed:
-  In Axiom use %minusInfinity and %plusInfinity instead of -inf and inf.
-  \begin{axiom}
-  integrate(x^4/(sinh(x))^2,x=%minusInfinity..%plusInfinity)
-  \end{axiom}
-
-10 Numeric conversions
   In Axiom use %minusInfinity and %plusInfinity instead of -inf and inf.
   \begin{axiom}
   integrate(x^4/(sinh(x))^2,x=%minusInfinity..%plusInfinity)
   \end{axiom}

11 Numeric conversions

--removed:
-
-   \begin{axiom}
-   asin(1/2)
-   asin(.5)
-   \end{axiom}
-

++added:
12 Axiom prefers symbolic calculations

   The trig functions are expressed in radians so use $\pi/2$ instead
   $90$ and $34\pi/180$ instead of $34$. Finally, because Axiom
   prefers symbolic calculations express $1.544$ as a rational number
   \begin{axiom}
   r:Fraction Integer:=1.544
   eq1:=90*%pi/180-asin(n*sin(34*%pi/180)/r)=asin(n/r)
   s:=solve(eq1,n)
   \end{axiom}

   Axiom thinks there are two solutions, unfortunately only one
   is valid:
   \begin{axiom}
   eval(eq1,s.1)::Equation Expression Float
   eval(eq1,s.2)::Equation Expression Float
   \end{axiom}

13 Reduce commands must end with a semicolon ;

   Like this
   \begin{reduce}
   r^2+r+1;
   \end{reduce}

14 Coercion is sometimes necessary

   For example
   \begin{axiom}
   integrate((4 - x**2)**.5::Expression Fraction Integer, x)
   \end{axiom}

15 Use either 'differentiate' or the abbreviation 'D'

   Since sin(x) cannot be interpreted as a univariate polynomial,
   you must specify the integration variable.
   \begin{axiom}
   differentiate(sin(x),x)
   \end{axiom}

--