[Axiom-developer] Doyen project

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Doyen project
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 12:19:17 -0400

Henry,

>  I became interested in Axiom because of a post, by you, in a
> mailing-list, in which you defended the proposition that the gap
> between programming and writing mathematics in paper ought to be
> merged, a "system for 30 years." Extremely interesting and visionary!
>  By the way, may I suggest that you put that mail with your vision
> somewhere in the Axiom site? I think this sets it apart from others
...[snip]...

Look at http://daly.axiom-developer.org/doyen

The Doyen idea is very simple. When you present your paper at a science
conference you give out a URL. Everyone in the audience has a Doyen "Live CD"
that was given out with the conference materials. If they boot the "Live CD"
(it doesn't touch their hard drive so it won't affect their machines)
then they can "drag and drop" your literate paper (which includes the
source code) onto their machine and run your results while you give
your talk.

The means that everyone in the audience has your program as well as
your paper and can reproduce your results. Isn't that the definition
of a science? And it works for every branch of science that uses a
computer.

The Doyen project is actually a generalization of the ideas for Axiom.
It addresses the problem that we, as computational mathematicians, are
not making our fundamental results (programs) available in sharable and
archivable form. I've seen hundreds of presentations where reference is
made to the software that supports results but I can't get or use the
software.

Tim