Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom Mathaction output emails

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom Mathaction output emails
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 06:43:14 -0500

"Page, Bill" wrote:

> On Thursday, February 10, 2005 5:38 PM Tim Daly wrote:
> >
> > We can create a mathaction mailing list easily.
> >

> Yes, true. But I don't see the point since MathAction itself
> allows direct subscriptions by users which is the same thing
> as creating a mailing list.
>
> What Martin Rubey and I decided to do was to subscribe the
> axiom-developer email list itself to the MathAction wiki. That
> is effectively the same as subscribing everyone on the axiom-
> developer email list to the wiki. I think the main reason we decided
> to do this was to attempt to increase the number of people using
> the wiki - to encourage them to use the IssueTracker and other
> features so that bugs and useful information would not be lost
> in the email "waste basket".

I think if the Wiki interface is more friendly, it would attract more people to
use. I would propose to add (if possible) the following for each page that is
editable by anyone:

(1) A new page (for new bug report, for example, or new issues) button
(2) A preview button before submitting a new page (right now, in Issuetracker,
the add issue button does not allow preview. This would create more mailing for
any subsequent edits.
(3) A separate "mail" button, separate from the "save" button, so a user has
control of whether to mail it or not (as if using email). So minor edit would
not be mailed.
(4) A login button to record users. (I registered, actually to the test version
of Wiki/Portal, but any changes I made still says anonymous: btw, once I
registered, I can submit changes! I don't know if that is what, at least for
now, solved my earlier problem when I was not able to; or maybe it was the
recent upgrade at the server end).

Also, add a page on the etiquette of using Wiki (this can evolve as people
continue using it).

> In retrospect this seems a little "heavy handed" to me since
> many (most) people on the email list did not ask to be part
> of the wiki. This is what I am beginning to think was not such
> a great idea since it sometimes generates too much noise on
> the email list and may actually be "scaring" some people away.

I think the S/N is definitely a problem. But a lot of the bug reporting can
(should?) directly go to IssueTracker and emailed while testers trying out Axiom
need not email their pages unless they have questions.

> But on the other hand we do now have at least some interaction
> going on via the wiki which is where we want it to be. The main
> thing is that it seemed awkward to have two places (the email
> list and the wiki) to subscribe and interact.

For anything that involves pieces of Axiom code, Wiki is far better, because we
do not have to cut and paste the outputs. For other discussions, especially
system type or patches, email is preferrable. Also, in email, sometimes we can,
and often do, discuss several related issues; with Wiki, a separate page should
be set up if other new problems arise. I think forwarding MathAction page
changes or new pages selectively should be doable.

William