[Axiom-developer] Style of Mathaction webpages

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Style of Mathaction webpages
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:02:35 -0800 (PST)

First off, I just want to say this is idle talk on my part and I am
deeply impressed with the work that has been done on making Axiom
usable via the web.  These are just speculative thoughts with no
knowledge of the power or limitations of the tools being used.

The style of the webpages currently is very basic, which is good for
less capable browsers but has (IMHO) a sort of "dated" feel to it.
There was at some point in the past a different style I saw, but it has
been admittedly too long since I followed this in detail.

What I'm wondering is, with most people using "modern" browsers
nowadays, would it be possible to have the webpages use a "math
notebook" like style?  (Using css, xhtml, etc.)  What I'm thinking is
that in essence people could create a Mathaction page, work in an
environment like Emacs or TeXmacs (insofar as web page limitations
allow), create a printable "math worksheet", and then be able to save a
local copy which could be reloaded to Mathaction at some point in the
future (should the one on the server be erased for whatever reason.)
Essentially, it would be the next logical step from the current
capabilities - have not just a place to do calculations but be able to
generate a presentable, printable math document for inclusion in
reports, homework, whatever.  (Again, within the limits of the web.)

Is that in line with the goals of Mathaction?  I guess what I described
is more of a "CAS web GUI" than a collaborative web site, so it might
not be of interest, but I thought I'd just throw it out there and see
what the real gurus thought.

CY