RE: [Axiom-developer] Bug tracking tools...

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Bug tracking tools...
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:51:32 -0500

Frédéric Lehobey,

On Monday, January 24, 2005 5:33 PM you wrote:

> Bill Page worte:
> > Why is it so hard to think of using a web system in this way???
>
> Maybe sending e-mails looks more `natural' to us.  For example
> Pari/GP has a nice (to my own eyes) bug tracking system based
> on e-mails.  It is a simplification of Debian bug tracking system
> and may be found here:  http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/Bugs/ .
>
> I do not how hard it would be to settle such a system for Axiom,
> but if there were some interest I could dig into it.

Thank you very much for this observation and the reference!
The Pari/GP site does indeed have a nice bug tracking system.

Yes, this is an excellent idea. In fact, it turns out that
it is *easy* to do this for Axiom. All that was required was
to use a specific name in email sent to axiom-developer.org.
I have made the required change so that now all email sent to
either:

  address@hidden

or

  address@hidden

will automatically create a new issue.

How simple!

Further, submitting bugs this way keeps the proper formatting
of the email including indentations, embedded LaTeX and Axiom
commands, etc. without having to fiddle with the page type.

Also this solves a problem I was having with formatting of
bug reports what were originally filed on Savannah.

Wonderful.

Thanks again.