Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: Mathaction edit/preview/save problem

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: Mathaction edit/preview/save problem
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:53:27 -0800

Bill Page address@hidden wrote:
> I don't use Netgear but I do not think that this could be a
> firewall problem.

Make sure you have updated your router to the latest version of its
BIOS.  These cheapo-home devices generally have numerous stupid
problems...that I won't get into.  (See the BIOS changelogs for things
like: computers connected to wireless cannot connect to wired computers)

> It does not make any sense to me that you can access pages
> on MathAction and even click Edit, but that when you try to
> click Preview or Save you suddenly get a "cannot find server"
> message. The best explanation that I can think of is that
> this might mean that you have some kind of intermittant domain
> name server problem. "cannot find server" usually means that it
> tried to lookup the name `page.axiom-developer.org' in order
> to find its numeric ip address but your domain name server
> told your browser that it could not find that particular name.
> That is strange because it obviously found the same name when
> you first found that page.
>
> How often do you use a web browser on your system? Do you
> get this message when accessing any other web site?

This could also be a failure of the router to upload a large amount of
data (since preview/save has to send the entire page back).  After
updating your BIOS, see if you can upload anything anywhere else.

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "Faith: Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks
    without knowledge, of things without parallel." -- Ambrose Bierce