Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: hyperdoc

From: Andrey G. Grozin
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: hyperdoc
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 18:17:41 +0600 (NOVT)

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Martin Rubey wrote:
> root writes:
>  > The longer term goal is either to merge it with the mathaction wiki code
>  > (assuming we can make that run on a users machine),
> OK.
>  > merge it into TeXmacs
> NO NO NO, only if it runs without TeXmacs. I don't want to switch between
> emacs
> and TeXmacs. NEVER!
Interesting. My feelings are exactly opposite. I very much dislike the
idea that, in order to do computer algebra, I have to run an http server,
a browser, a wiki and what else. I have 128M of memory; I want to use them
to solve my problem, and don't want to waste them. Also, I dislike all
browser-based interfaces.
On the other hand, hyperdoc definitely looks too old-fashioned. It should
be (at some moment in the future) replaced by a nice program capable of
showing non-trivial mathematics. Are there such programs? Yes, TeXmacs!! I
don't think anything can beat it in the quality of math formulas. Why
re-invent the wheel? TeXmacs seems the best choice available.

Andrey