[Axiom-developer] BRL/CAD and Axiom

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] BRL/CAD and Axiom
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 22:12:27 -0500

Sean,

I got your name from brlcad.sourceforge.net.

My name is Tim Daly. I'm the lead developer on the Axiom project

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/axiom
http://axiom.axiom-developer.org
http://sourceforge.net/projects/axiom

Axiom is a large, general purpose computer algebra system that was
originally developed at IBM Research and later brought to market by
The Numerical Algorithms Group (NAG). It was a commercial competitor
to Mathematica and Maple.

Several years ago it was released as free and open source software
under the Modified-BSD license.

Axiom has a graphics package that can draw 2D and 3D objects from
their mathematical description. These objects can be rotated,
translated, and shaded. The next release (February 2005) will have
this ability as part of the standard system.

Axiom does not currently have any CSG software but it is clear that
there is a convergence of interests between computational mathematics
and CSG. There are several conferences focusing on this topic.

My particular interest in BRL/CAD is in the area of engineering.
It seems that one could use a CAD system to design a structure,
such as a bridge, and use a computer algebra system to model the
forces on the bridge members. The combination of a strong computer
algebra system with a strong CAD system has the potential for
teaching students design as well as computing close-form solutions
for real-world problems. Clearly the same kind of interface could
be used for modeling other areas such as architecture.

The purpose of this note is to bring Axiom to your attention.
I'd like to know if you would find the connection to a computer
algebra system useful for your work. Axiom can clearly benefit
from a connection to a CSG/CAD system.

Please let me know if you have any interest in working together.

Tim Daly
address@hidden
address@hidden