RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: algebra Makefiles with explicit dependencies,

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: algebra Makefiles with explicit dependencies, bootstrap, fixed-points etc.
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 16:59:42 -0500

Tim,

Although technically it probably doesn't matter, but as
far as I can tell from the email archives, the version
of the databases that we have been using on Savannah was
actually supplied by Jergen Weiss after he was the first
to successfully build the full set of Axiom spad files under
GCL in about August 2003.. The problem with compiling some
of the spad files up until that point was apparently that
the database files from the NAG version that you had been
using were somehow incompatible with GCL. I think Jergen
actually obtained the original database files that he used
to bootstrap GCL from some other version of Axiom (based on
a different lisp, CMCL?). He was then able to build a new
set of databases directly using the GCL version of AXIOM.
In about September 2003 on your request I uploaded these
database files to the Savannah CVS. As far as I know, these
are still the same ones we are using today unless you replaced
them again at some point. The minor differences that I saw
between the most recently built database files and the ones
that Jergen built was probably due to one or two addition
spad files that were missing from Jergen's build.

In any case, this does not seem to be the reason for the
"propagation" of changes in the *.lsp files.