Re: [Axiom-developer] Ebuild underway - success

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Ebuild underway - success
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:40:22 -0500

CY,

>So in essence, Axiom doesn't have to worry about the ebuild except to
>have someone check that everything is working.  Gentoo takes the
>vanilla release tarball, and works with that to make things happen.  If
>you're familiar with the BSD ports tree, gentoo uses the same basic
>idea.  For example, with the current ebuild in bugzilla I have one
>patch which changes the ./configure options for gcl.  Normally this is
>not needed, but on gentoo system the more conservative settings are
>needed, so I provide a patch making this change.  With
>axiom--main--1--patch--18 the gcl settings have moved, so I created a
>new patch for that.  (I've yet to complete a successful ebuild with
>axiom--main--1--patch--18, so I'm not sure if something else will be
>needed.  At one point the Axiom terminal interface popped up and CPU
>and disk activity went to zero, which doesn't seem right.)  Other than
>that, if all that needs to be done is change the location of the
>tarball in the ebuild, point it to the new patches, and away it goes.

The axiom mechanism for this is to modify the Makefile.pamphlet to
introduce a new <<makefile.gentoo>> chunk. Then gentoo users would
set the AXIOM variable to:

AXIOM=`pwd`/axiom/mnt/gentoo
                      ^^^^^^
                       this selects the makefile.gentoo chunk
which is where you would put the new .configure

Also, the 'pop up a terminal and hang' issue seems to have something
to do with a race condition. Graphics works and it is running some
graphics input test file (likely wiggle.input). If the graphics window
does not start, say because you do not have xhost permission to open
a window, then the build hangs.