RE: [Axiom-developer] Nightly build

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Nightly build
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 02:37:29 -0500

On Sunday, December 19, 2004 1:40 AM Meino Christian Cramer
wrote:

>  Nonetheless, a second
>
>        make
>
>  afterwards shows that the build was not successful:

First, I do not understand your reason for doing a second make
if the log of the first one is very long and apparently completed
without any error message. Why did you not just run AXIOMsys to
see if it worked? You can do this without first doing a
make install. You can run Axiom from where it was built in
the

  .../mnt/linux/bin

directory. You could also try sman etc.

Perhaps you could send just the first 10 lines of your log file?

The second time you ran make, the AXIOM variable seems to have
been again set incorrectly. The reason I say this is that the first
line of the make output below shows SYS= which means that this
variable is empty. It should be 'linux'. Please compare that to
the first line of you log file.

If you look at the commands in Makefile you will see that it
contains

  SYS=$(notdir $AXIOM)

This command gets the last part of the path after the last /
contained the AXIOM variable. As the ./configure says

    You must set your AXIOM and PATH variables. Type:

    export AXIOM=/tmp/axiom/mnt/linux
    export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH

This means that YOU must do this. You must type these commands
exactly as you see them before running make. The first line
MUST NOT end in /. If it does, then SYS will be empty and make
will fail.

What I prefer to do is to use cut-and-paste so that I do not
make a mistake.

Third, I think that it is not a good idea to use the /tmp
directory in this way. Linux can freely delete files from
/tmp that it thinks are no longer needed. It is better
to put the axiom source in a sub-directory in your home
directory.

>      [axiom/] :make
>      0 SPAD=/tmp/axiom/mnt/ SYS= SPD=/tmp/axiom

You can see that SPAD SYS are not correct in the first
line of the log output above.

>  At this point, I gave up, since I don't know what was initially
>  intended.

I think that you intend to compile the AXIOM system from
the source files. No?