Re: [Axiom-developer] Ask Slashdot

From: Eugene Surowitz
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Ask Slashdot
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:49:21 -0500

Actually the real problem here is the advertising leverage that query
and the uncritical nature of the response give to Mathematica.
How could such queries be spotted and more appropriate pointer responses
to math sites be generated?

Cheers, Eugene Surowitz

Bill Page wrote:

Bob,

Thanks for the tip.

Wow, this is pretty funny and scary stuff! Certainly a "hot
topic" if the number of replies to the original article is
any indication (> 250 replies in just 2 hours, is that normal
on slashdot?) . It appears Maxima wins hands down, followed
closely by "why not pencil and paper?". I see Axiom mentioned
once with our current url http://axiom.axiom-developer.org
(thank you someone ...)

But personally I am inclined to leave this kind of query to the
nerds who still think "that there is nothing out there that even
comes close to Wolfram's excellent Mathematica". Obviously they
are really looking... <grin>