RE: [Axiom-developer] Release?

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Release?
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:05:04 -0500

William,

The symptoms that you describe sound like AXIOMsys.exe and
tm_axiom.exe are not in the PATH. If you open a MSDOS command
windows and type

 C:\... > path

You should see

  C:\Program files\axiom\mnt\windows\bin;

in the list of directories.

And you should also be able to simply type

 C:\... > axiomsys

to start Axiom.

If not then the Axiom install did not complete properly.
But if axiom is in the default path, then TeXmacs should
find it.

On Monday, December 13, 2004 3:11 AM William Sit wrote:

> Thanks for the instructions below.
>
> > TeXmacs for a graphical interface is definitely possible. But
> > it needs to be installed separately.
>
> I followed your instructions and installed TeXmacs. At first
> it hangs when run the first time.

TeXmacs takes a long time to startup when first installed
because it is building some tables of font information, but
I have not had it truly hang when I have tried it.

> Rerunning it eventually opens up the windows and I can pull
> down the menu Insert->Session->Axiom.

That's good because it means that it found AXIOMsys.exe

> Then it displays a cyan long an thin rectangle across the width
> of the white area (which disappears if the focus is not TeXmacs
> window),

That's good.

> with the "axiom]" (no quotes) where a red vertical line crosses
> the letter o

That's bad. When you see "axiom]" it means that for some reason
it can not run tm_axiom.exe (the interface program). What you
should see is a red arrow.

> (which also disappears if window is out of focus).

That's normal.

> The status bar says "generic axiom program roman 10 blue [dead]".

That's obviously bad...

> I type 1 + 1 and press enter, the program hanged with entire window
> going blank with (Not Responding) and had to be killed. This can
> be reproduced several times. Both startup and shutdown took
> relatively long time (6 secs, I am using a P4 2.4GHz 1GB ram
> machine, running XP).

That is similar to the configuration of my Windows PC. 6 secs is
about right for TeXmacs startup.

> I realize that the red vertical line is the cursor but it was
> not placed in the right place.
>
> Both TeXmacs and Axiom are installed as subfolders of
> J:\Program Files.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

Make sure that you can run 'axiomsys' and 'tm_axiom' from the
command line (normally you do *not* try to run 'tm_axiom' this
way, but this is just a test to see if it is accessible). Let
me know the results.

If it turns out that for some reason

  C:\Program files\axiom\mnt\windows\bin;

is not in the Path, on Windows 2000 and XP you can add it manually
by clicking

  Start / Control Panel (classic view) / system / Advanced / Environment
Variables

On older windows systems this would be set in AUTOEXEC.BAT

But all of this should be done automatically by the Axiom
installer program. I have a new version of the installer that
I think should work better. I will upload it later today.