RE: [Axiom-developer] Release?

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Release?
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:29:10 -0500

William,

Thank you for trying the installation on an older Windows
system. I had not tested this. The install script needs
to be changed to accommodate older systems which set
environment variables differently than Windows 2000, and
Windows NT and later versions. I will correct that install
script and upload a new version.

On Sunday, December 12, 2004 3:27 PM you wrote:

> > Error: Cannot open the file
> > c:/cvs/head/axiom/mnt/windows/algebra/compress.daase
> >

> I tested installation on A Dell machine (P4) running Windows
> 98SE using the executable
> http://page.axiom-developer.org/axiom-0.1.exe
> I rebooted the system, as requested. An axiom folder appears
> in the Start->Program menu and clicking on Axiom->Axiom starts
> a MSDOS Windows, with Axiom started, but giving the same error
> message as Tim gets (and the system stays in BOOT>>). I then
> click on the Desktop icon Axiom, same thing (unlike Tim's
> response).
>
> Two comments:
> (1) If the system fails after starting, I suggest that in
> addition to the error message, then a message on how to get
> out of BOOT and Axiom be given, returning to DOS.

This would have to be done in the Axiom coding.

> (2) Better still, since most Windows users will not be
> familiar or even know what BOOT is, and the :H listing will
> look like gibberish, it should perhaps not be the default
> setting (that is do not go into BOOT at error).

Of course these comments also apply to most Linux users.
I agree that exiting to BOOT should not be the default
behaviour. It would be better to simply exit. An option
to exit to BOOT could be provided for developers and
advanced debugging.