[Axiom-developer] sman: fails to start

From: Balbir Thomas
Subject: [Axiom-developer] sman: fails to start
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:08:48 -0500

Hi,
I wanted to try out axiom graphics so I checked out the cvs code and
built it on debian woody. However sman fails to start and dies with the
following error message :

mandelbrot:/home/bt/archive/axiom# sman -noclef
sman:main entered
sman:process_options entered
sman:set_up_defaults entered
sman:set_up_defaults exit
sman:process_arguments entered
  sman -noclef -gr -nag -ht -noiw -ihere -ihere -ws '$AXIOM/bin/AXIOMsys'
-grprog '$AXIOM/lib/viewman' -nagprog '$AXIOM/lib/nagman' -htprog
'$AXIOM/bin/hypertex -s' -clefprog '' -sessionprog '$AXIOM/lib/session'
-clientprog '$AXIOM/lib/spadclient' -rm '(null)' -rv '(null)' -paste '(null)'
  sman:process_arguments exit
  sman:process_options exit
  ptyopen: Failed to grant access to slave device: No such file or directory
  ptyopen: Failed to get name of slave device: No such file or directory
  ptyopen: Failed to open slave: Bad address
  sman:start_the_local_spadclient: $AXIOM/lib/spadclient
  fork_Axiom: Failed to reopen server: No such file or directory
  /bin/sh: line 1: /home/bt/archive/axiom/mnt/linux/bin/hypertex: No such file
or directory
  /bin/sh: line 1: exec: /home/bt/archive/axiom/mnt/linux/bin/hypertex: cannot
execute: No such file or directory
  /bin/sh: line 1: /home/bt/archive/axiom/mnt/linux/lib/nagman: No such file or
directory
  /bin/sh: line 1: exec: /home/bt/archive/axiom/mnt/linux/lib/nagman: cannot
execute: No such file or directory

  This is when running as root with the -noclef option. I tried other
  permutations too as described by Tim's mail on the developer list. I
  do have dchroot installed, and adding a line like "stable /dev/pts"
  does not help either (I am not sure what I am doing here :-).

  Am I missing something ?

  sincerely
  B Thomas