[Axiom-developer] Re: address@hidden: Axiom on FC3]

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: address@hidden: Axiom on FC3]
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:55:51 -0500

Gemi,

SBCL is more involved. In order to build Axiom the lisp has to support
some socket code. Older common lisps did not support sockets although
I believe all of the latest versions do.

So in order to make Axiom work on SBCL there are severals steps but
the very first is to take one of two paths (the first is preferred but
the second is ok)

 1) figure out how to do the socket code in common lisp in a portable
    way using #+ and #- for the different versions
 2) figure out how to link axiom's socket code into SBCL at build time

There are other problems. For instances, the makefiles need to use lisp
commands to build and save images. GCL has a save-system command. I
don't know the equivalent command in SBCL so I don't know how to
rewrite the save-system.

It's technically possible to do. Axiom ran on about a dozen lisps, some
of them were not common lisp (e.g. vmlisp, maclisp, zetalisp) so most
of the axiom system is agnostic about the underlying lisp. The only
real issues are time and persistance.

If you're really interested we can start an SBCL branch and look at
the issues.

Tim