[Axiom-developer] Re: proposal to create the Axiom Foundation (was: boun

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: proposal to create the Axiom Foundation (was: bounties etc.)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 00:13:20 -0800

Bill Page address@hidden wrote:
> Ok. Personally, I don't have a problem with being emotional
> about money, so that's all the encouragement I need... :)

Sounds great!

> 1. We call in the "Axiom Foundation". I am not worried at all
>    right now about it's legal status or anything. Just a name
>    will do on which to hang the idea.

It is easier to get donations if, eventually, the foundation can be
legally established as a 503(c) non-profit or something.

> 4. Right now I can think of at least two potentially fundable
>    activites:
>
>    4a. The axiom-developer.org host system

How is this currently hosted/funded?  Is CUNY hosting?

I also have a co-located server sitting far below it's bandwidth
allotment, and a 99% idle CPU.  I'd be willing to host some resources,
if that would be helpful.  It's also an alpha/linux, if people want to
compile/test Axiom on that arch.

I'm not sure I want to allocate university resources (e.g. my office
computer) because I am still a post-doc, I will likely leave Davis in 2
years.  Also this would have to move from a spare-time activity to a
work activity.  In my mind I would need to justify that it is related to
my research.  We'll see...

> 6. Finally, the people I would personally like to see volunteer
>    as initial members of the Axiom Fundation are:

I'm flattered to be nominated, but I doubt I'm really qualified.  My
understanding of Axiom is less than poor.  I hope I will be able to
improve that in time, but right now I could not identify what is useful
for Axiom.  Nor have I even decided if my future efforts will be based
on Axiom or Maxima.  My monetary offer really needs someone else to
suggest a project.  My QFT ideas are underdeveloped at this point.  On
the other hand, the person(s) putting up money should of course have a
say in what it goes for.

My spare-time allotment will be fixing zwiki, fixing latexwiki,
integrating axiom/reduce/wiki, *then* doing some real work with Axiom.
Unfortunately I don't have any physics projects on the horizon which
would let me dump time into it.  So, I'll be useless to Axiom for a
while.

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "It's not the people who vote that count. It's the people who count the
    votes." -- Joseph Stalin