[Axiom-developer] Re: Wikis

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Wikis
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:36:43 -0800

Page, Bill address@hidden wrote:
> Tim,
>
> About wikis.
>
> Actually I was looking at Moinmoin the other day
>
>   http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de
>
> Moinmoin is a wiki written in Python (like ZWiki but without
> the ZOPE web development environment). It also has some
> capabilities to handle LaTeX and could probably be quite
> easily extended (for someone already familiar with programming
> for Moinmoin) to interface with Axiom the way we do now with
> LatexWiki.
>

> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id=624&max_rows=25&style=
> flat&viewmonth=200208

It appears they did not steal my image alignment or mathml code.  :(
Also their block equation mode is obtuse and un-latex-like::

     [[[latex (multiple lines)
     stuff
     $$ \alpha \beta \gamma $$
     ]]]

> Moinmoin seems quite fast and "tidy" but I am not sure if it
> really provides much advantage over what we are doing already.
>
> http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/ZWiki?highlight=%28zwiki%29

I have updated this page with more accurate information.  For instance,
zwiki now has a preview button, and actually supports the MoinMoin
input syntax, if you prefer that.

> Anyone have any comments?

My general dissatisfaction with zwiki has led me to look into other
wiki's (and porting my code), including moinmoin.  Basically, my latex
code is a lot better than others out there (nobody else gets images
aligned as well, nobody else does mathml...).

Anyway, after much deliberation, I decided to stick with zwiki.  It is
just more powerful and more flexible.  I figured out how to fix the
problems, and have been working on that.  My recent work has been on
removing rendering errors and improving speed, and you can find it here,
http://mcelrath.org:9675/newstx/FrontPage For large pages, rendering
speed can be improved by a factor of 20.  I have further
speed-improvement tricks up my sleeve, but am waiting to get my existing
code merged to zwiki before making more extensive changes to their
codebase.

As these changes are extensive, I have received some resistance to
incorporating them.  I am confident we can get these resolved, but in
the meantime you can see my page above and try it yourself.  Note these
changes have not been merged with latexwiki yet.

I think for a project as extensive as axiom, zope/zwiki will serve you
better than a simpler wiki like moin.  Access control, putting up
non-wiki content, Plone integration...will serve you well.

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "It's not the people who vote that count. It's the people who count the
    votes." -- Joseph Stalin