[Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-math] (no subject)

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-math] (no subject)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:06:43 -0500

Constantine,

First, my apologies. There was a file missing from the tarball.
I've uploaded a new version. But that isn't the problem you're
having it seems.

In slightly more detail the directions are:

This is not a binary distribution since I don't have access to
a SUSE 7.2 box. This is a source distribution. You have to build
it before you install it in /usr/local. The steps to build it are:

 a) decide on a place to build axiom. lets assume you choose /tmp
    If you decide to build it somewhere else change "/tmp" to that place.

cd /tmp

 b) get a the newly clean download of the tarball. it is at:

http://axiom.axiom-developer.org/axiom-website/DOWNLOADS/axiom.20041115.tgz

 c) save the tarball to /tmp

 d) unpack the tarball:

tar -zxf axiom.20041115.tgz

 e) this will create a new directory in /tmp called "axiom". go there:

cd /tmp/axiom

 f) the build needs a shell variable called "AXIOM" set to the location
    of the build and the type of the machine. Since I have never built
    a SUSE box we can only assume it is a "standard linux", thus do:

export AXIOM=/tmp/axiom/mnt/linux

 g) just for convenience you can also set the PATH variable:

export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH

 h) now you are ready to start the build. The build goes thru many
    different phases and, as long as it doesn't stop it will build
    a working axiom. If you work in an emacs shell buffer you can
    capture all of the output. In any case, if there is a failure
    please mail the output to "address@hidden" and copy the list
    "address@hidden":

make

 i) the make will take something proportional to 3 hours on a 2Ghz box.

 j) when the make finishes you should have a running axiom. To test it
    you can just start axiom, type '1+1' and then type ')quit' to exit:

axiom
1+1
)quit

 k) if step j worked you can, but are not required to, install axiom
    into any location you want. By default it will install into
    "/usr/local/axiom". You need to be root to install it in the system
    tree but you could install it anywhere. In fact, all you need to
    keep is the /tmp/axiom/mnt subdirectory. The rest is just overhead
    at this point.

su - root
make install
exit

 l) the actual axiom command requires that the 'AXIOM' shell variable
    tell axiom where it lives. So you will need to set this variable.
    Also, the 'axiom' command needs to be added to your path.

export AXIOM=/usr/local/axiom/mnt/linux
export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH
axiom

 m) in order to simplify life you could make an axiom command in your
    default path. So, for example, if your PATH includes /usr/local/bin
    you can type: (be sure to use single quotes, not double quotes)

su - root
echo 'export AXIOM=/usr/local/axiom/mnt/linux' >/usr/local/bin/axiom
echo 'export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH' >/usr/local/bin/axiom
echo 'AXIOMsys' >/usr/local/bin/axiom
chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/axiom
exit

 n) if you do step 'm' above any user can run axiom by just typing:

axiom

Let me know if this works or fails.

Tim