RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: mathaction

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: mathaction
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:45:04 +0000

Bill Page writes:
 > Martin,
 >
 > On Saturday, September 11, 2004 8:24 AM you wrote:
 > > [Bill Page wrote:]
 > >> Are there really two *separate* goals here: 1) support
 > >> Axiom, 2) promote the "Rosetta" ideal of many different
 > >> systems co-existing and growing and working together?
 > >
 > > We might be very welcome in mupad-combinat circles.
 > >

 > What the mupad-combinat people are doing sounds interesting.
 >
 >   http://mupad-combinat.sourceforge.net/
 >
 > They even have a wiki!
 >
 >   http://mupad-combinat.sourceforge.net/Wiki/HomePage.html
 >
 > The last time I looked at MuPad I was very impressed
 >
 >   http://research.mupad.de/
 >
 > And they seem to have continued to develop as a potentially
 > serious competitor to Maple while moving to a more "Axiom-like"
 > approach to mathematical content.

Yes, they are *very* strong. One reason for this is that MuPad is free for
scientists in France, as far as I know. In fact, if MuPad became free, I think
there would be little to no space left for axiom.

 > Does anyone here have a direct contact with the MuPad Research
 > Group at Paderborn? If so, I would very much like to seek their
 > opinion on the possibility of being included in MathAction. I
 > would be quite willing to invest some time in implementing
 > the wiki interface for MuPad.

I know Nicolas Thiery. I'm pretty sure he would love to help you.

 > For that matter I am also strongly motivated to implement an
 > interface for Maple, but currently poorly conceived (in my
 > opinion) licensing restrictions prevent me from doing this.
 > Perhaps the situation with MuPad is different?
 >
 >   http://research.mupad.de/licenses.html
 >
 > However as far as I can tell from the above, their current
 > license would not allow us to setup open access over-the-web
 > to MuPad the way we have now for Axiom and Reduce.

It might well be, that Nicolas can negotiate this for you.