Re: [Axiom-developer] debian layout

From: Frédéric Lehobey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] debian layout
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 00:09:40 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 04:25:32PM -0400, Camm Maguire wrote:

> What I was suggesting is that given your stated philosophy of axiom,
> we might make axiom depend on axiom-doc, so that the two would be
> inseparable.  Whether or not it is a good idea to enforce this
> philosophy on people who might just want to save disk space might be
> open for discussion, but the possibility is acceptable vis a vis
> Debian policy, as the binary independent data has its own package and
> is not replicated.

While I agree with the general purpose of having all developer
documentation installed and handled as user documentation, I expect
some usage of axiom for batch computations on dedicated machines (as
"crunching numbers").  Therefore the (Debian) dependency on axiom-doc
may be sometimes a bit too strong.  On the other hand on such
machines, disk space should not be the real bottleneck...  (You never
have too much documentation, especially for computer algebra systems.)

Sorry for those who may find this thread a bit too Debian-centric but
most of the time questions raised by the Debian policy are sensible
questions.  In any case, you may be happy some day to use Camm soon to
be released axiom Debian packages.

Sincerely,
Frédéric Lehobey