Re: [Axiom-developer] OpenMath

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] OpenMath
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:09:31 -0700

Bertfried Fauser address@hidden wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2004, root wrote:
> The latex+wiki is really beyond everything I was intended to belive!!
> However, it looks odd, if renered text (included as image) and usual text
> (rendered by the html engine/browser) are mixed.

This is because the axiom site is inside Plone, and Plone needs a
ploneCustom.css file to specify a few things for latexwiki.  See my
site: http://mcelrath.org/Notes which does not use plone.  I've put a
lot of effort into making the latex text look natural with the
surrounding browser text.  Also try the "preferences" link in the upper
left corner.

> Moreover, it is a bit of
> cheating involved. The creator of such a page has to deal with bootom down
> LaTeX and wiki(html) formating issues. This is fare away from being a
> wysiwyg application.

In general, I do not think a web page would be an appropriate interface
for Axiom.  Furthermore, png/gif's embedded in web pages for the math is
really a short-term hack because MathML isn't ready for prime time, and
is not desirable in the long run.

However, Mozilla has just about all the elements necessary to build a
notebook interface.  It can render MathML already, and an interface can
be drawn in XUL...  Perhaps this would be better than extending
TeXmacs, since the "notebook" doesn't fit so naturally in the editor
paradigm.

Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely
    rearranging their prejudices." -- William James