[Axiom-developer] Re: axiom shell script

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: axiom shell script
Date: 24 Feb 2004 14:23:37 -0500

Greetings!

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

> Tim,
>
> The name AXIOMsys works "right out of the box" for the
> old commercial version of Axiom that many people are
> still running and except for the way Axiom is configured
> on Debian, it works for the other new source linux
> versions. It seems to me that it is the Debian distribution

Source linux versions?  I'm just wondering if other Linux distros are
providing pre-compiled binaries, and if so what they are doing.

> that should change to be compatible with the others. If
> (for reasons that still remain very unclear to me) the
> directory structure on Debian must be changed from the
> what has be distributed for Axiom so far, then the minimum
> that would be required is the on Debian the name AXIOMsys
> refer either via a link or by a simple script to the
> real executable - where ever it has to be located. Surely
> this is done all the time on Debian? No?

OK, its quite simple for me to add a link in /usr/bin called AXIOMsys
pointing to axiom.  Still seems one needs the script to setup the
environment.  We of course could call the script AXIOMsys, but while
traditional, this certainly seems counterintuitive for new users to
find/type at a prompt.  If there are no objections then I'll make sure
the Debian package does the former.

> Running clef makes no sense when interfacing between
> TeXmacs and Axiom. In fact using AXIOMsys is an
> improvement for the commercial version of Axiom as
> well sense that extra stuff is not hanging around
> in memory somewhere between TeXmacs and Axiom.

On Debian (as well as a few of the BSDs at least, I'm told), axiom is
being build with an external gcl.  This image often has readline
enabled.  readline is shutoff automatically on startup when GCL (and
any image built on top of it) detects that the running terminal is not
readline capable, or if the TERM environment variable is set to "dumb"
(as in EMACS shell buffers for example.)  This might work without
change under TeXmacs, but if not, one can initialize with

(si::readline-off)

> So I still vote to keep it simple and just make sure
> that on every Axiom installation (just like the old
> commercial version) an AXIOMsys is in the path.

OK by me.

Take care,