More on type browser (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom interactive i

From: David MENTRE
Subject: More on type browser (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom interactive input syntax)
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 12:00:19 +0100

Hello Bertfried,

Regarding your intent to have an Axiom type browser, I think I have
found a framework and a tool to make it (see my last email on
LIS). However, I would need further information on what you expect to do
it properly.

Bertfried Fauser <address@hidden> writes:

>       perhaps I am describing what the AXIOM browser will do nayway.
> However, for me AXIOM is still lacking a f`type browser which can
> graphically (like a file system tree) show the dependencies of typs.
>
> Eg (fictious I have currently no AXIOM available)
>
>       browse Ring
>
>       Ring
>         |___ Euclidean Ring
>           |       |____ Division Ring
>         |___ Artinear Ring
>           |...
>
> which shows which types are subtypes, (downsearch)

Ok, you want (1) to show the type hierarchy using type/subtypes
relationship.

> A second way of working should diplay the upbraces of teh type tree
> (graph?) so that you see all datastructures which contain the type
> Ring, that may be modules, groups, abelian monoids, etc....

Can you elaborate more on that. Do you want to search all operators
having the type Ring as argument? Would you like to search for a
specific operator? According to which criteria? a type of function? An
input or ouput type? Operator name?

> This type of knowledge is importand to program AXIOM packages. I spent
> currently the most time with AXIOM by searching correct types (in fact the
> most general type which allows me to do teh calculation I want to perform)

Could you give me a concrete example, i.e. with real Axiom types and
operators, of what you would like to do in a perfect world.

It might even be possible to realize a system that proposes the most
general type doing a computation. But I need a more concrete example to
really understand what you want to supply to the search system.

A commented example of Axiom computation with usage example of the
(currently hypothetical) type browser and type searcher would be
perfect.

Yours,
d.
--