Re: [Axiom-developer] crystal and the semantic web

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] crystal and the semantic web
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 00:53:39 -0500

David,

KROPS was an effort I did while at IBM. I worked on two separate
research areas, expert systems which involved the OPS5 rule based
programming using a Rete. This eventually became a product (that
sold 2 copies) called Eclipse. The second effort was in Knowledge
Representation involving KREP, a research effort led by Eric Mays.
This eventually became a spinoff company.

I found a unification of the two ideas, a Rete pattern-match network
and a semantic network. I created a language called KROPS (KREP-OPS5)
which had the interesting property that rules and concepts were dual
representations of the same object. So concepts could be classified and
expressed as rules and rules could be entered and classified as concepts.
IBM used KROPS as the basis for the FAME system (Financial and Marketing
Expert). FAME died and KROPS went with it.

I have no idea what became of the software.

The only published report on KROPS that I helped author was:

"Integrating Rules and Inheritance Networks in a Knowledge-Based Financial
and Marketing Consultation system", T. Daly, J. Kastner, E. Mays, in
Proceedings Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, HICSS-21,
Hawaii, Jan 1988

Tim