RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom interactive input syntax

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom interactive input syntax
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:26:34 -0500

On Wednesday, December 10, 2003 5:21 AM nic
[mailto:address@hidden wrote:

> Excuse me if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

Not at all, you have come to the right place!

> I did some work on automatic type changing in the
> interpreter for my thesis under James Davenport...
>
> I should have the BOOT code at home on CD somewhere, although
> I did have some problems integrating the final version into
> the interpreter.
>
> You can get the thesis from
>    http://www.nic.uklinux.net/research/phd.ps

Thank you very much indeed for this contribution. I have
so far only just quickly skimmed your thesis but it appears
to me to be *exactly* on the topic that we are discussing.
And it seems "ambitious" in exactly the kind of way that
David Mentre outlined earlier.

I personally am very highly motivated to implement and test
the kind of changes to Axiom that you describe in your thesis.
Now that Axiom is open source and we have a small (but growing)
body of Axiom expertise available here, I think it would be
great to carry out the kind of project that your thesis
initiates.

Tim, can we make some arrangement, e.g. a new CVS development
branch where Nic could upload his modified BOOT code and
we could proceed with a new experimental version of Axiom
without interfering with the ongoing process of releasing
more of the original Axiom code.